Wednesday, January 20, 2010

When I install the power supply into my computer case do I need the power supply supporter bar?

When I put the power supply into my computer case do I need that bar that stretches from side to side at the top of the case? Or, are there screws that I would use to screw the power supply to the case? Will it stay in place even if I don't have a power supply supporter bar? How do I get the power supply to stay in place? Thank you.When I install the power supply into my computer case do I need the power supply supporter bar?
Most power supplies have four screws that keep it from moving around. These are generally four screws around the fan exhaust area on the back of the CPU chassis.





However, some CPU cases have some sort of stabilizer bar that keeps the power supply pressed snugly against the case bottom, along with between 2-4 screws.





Ideally, you should read the manual or paperwork that came with your PC or power supply, and it will tell you how to install the unit, and whether the extra bar is needed.





What you do NOT want is that power supply to be at all loose in the case. If you move the case around and the power supply shifts, it could damage the other boards in the case, or possibly even short something out, causing a fire or giving someone a nasty shock.





If you are unsure about the proper installation of the power supply, I would ask at a nearby computer store (perhaps where you bought the unit?), at the website for the manufacturer of the PC or power supply, or even at a local Computer Science department of a community college.

No comments:

Post a Comment