Friday, January 22, 2010

Is it possible to determine the form factor without opening a computer case?

I am trying to answer this question for my IT class. atx vs btx form factors. can you tell the diff between them without opening the pc?Is it possible to determine the form factor without opening a computer case?
I assume you are referring to the motherboard, and not the power supply or case. To put it simply, BTX motherboards are very similar in dimensions but they would look 'mirrored'. Meaning everything is pretty much flip flopped. So if you looked to where you'd normally see your IO ports, for example on a standing PC case you'd find them in the upper portion, if they were on the lower portion, that would be a good sign of this being a BTX setup. So all you'd have to do was look on the back. Of course if this case has a way to see inside as plenty of cases do, the logic wouldn't be very different as the setup looks very different to a person who is commonly building computers, which I am sure several of your students may recognize.Is it possible to determine the form factor without opening a computer case?
ATX and BTX are very similar. By looking on the back of a BTX case, all the PCI slot are on top and the I/O connection are on the bottom. So the power supply will be on the bottom. ATX is normally use by all home built computer. Both ATX and BTX are interchangeable in part beside the motherboard. Both use the same Power Supply, wiring, drives, etc.. I look at BTX as a reverse/opposite of ATX. BTX look like everything is flip around when comparing to an ATX case.
Yes - BTX boards have the I/O connectors and PCI slots in reverse order from ATX. Looking at an ATX board from the rear, the I/O ports (USB, video, keyboard/mouse/etc.) are on the left, with a BTX they're on the right.





Hope that helps,


Jason


www.onestoptechnologyshop.com

1 comment:

  1. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! r1446

    ReplyDelete